To be awarded an associate degree, certificate, or career studies certificate, you must:
- Fulfill all course and credit hour requirements specific to the college catalog at the time you officially declared your major at Brightpoint. Subsequent program changes may necessitate course substitutions, but these can only be made with the recommendation of your academic advisor and the approval of the appropriate division dean.
- Complete, at a minimum, 25 percent of the credits required for your major at Brightpoint. Note: Credits earned via experiential learning (e.g. CPR Cards) are not considered residency credits and do not constitute courses earned at Brightpoint. In addition, experiential learning credits may be used to satisfy no more than 25 percent of your major.
- Have a curricular grade point average of at least 2.0.
- Resolve any financial obligations to the college and return all library books and other materials.
- Participate in the institution’s assessments of its academic programs prior to spring graduation; this is not required for fall graduates. Information will be sent to students outlining specific information about the process.
Applying for Graduation
To be considered for graduation, you must:
- Meet with your academic advisor and review your advising transcript.
- Apply for Graduation online through the myBrightpoint portal by going to Student Information System>Student Center>Apply for Graduation. You may also obtain an Application for Graduation from your advisor or from the Admissions and Records Office.
- If submitting a paper application, obtain your advisor’s signature, attach your advising report and submit to the Admissions and Records Office by the appropriate deadline. Please see the Graduation Deadlines and FAQ for this academic year's specific deadlines.
- Ensure that all course waiver and substitution forms are submitted by your advisor and dean to the Admissions and Records Office by the appropriate deadline:
Summer semester candidates: June 15
Fall semester candidates: October 15
Spring semester candidates: February 15
The college reserves the right to graduate students who have completed all requirements for a career studies certificate, certificate and/or associate degree but have not applied for graduation.
Participating in Commencement
Brightpoint's annual commencement ceremony is held each May. Students who graduate in the preceding summer, fall, and spring semesters may participate.
If you wish to participate in commencement, you must indicate on your graduation application and submit a R.S.V.P. by the posted deadline. There are no exceptions to this requirement.
Information about the commencement ceremony and the purchase of caps, gowns, and announcements will be mailed and/or e-mailed to all participants during the spring semester. More information is also available on the commencement ceremony page.
If you are seeking to graduate with two degrees and/or certificates, you must submit an Application for Graduation for each award.
Students may only graduate with one specialization within a single degree.
If you are declaring a new major after graduation, the credits used in your new major must differ from the previous major by 25 percent.