The Great Expectations program provides financial resources and academic support for students affiliated with the Virginia Foster Care System. The transition from high school to the working world or to college can be especially challenging for foster youth. Great Expectations provides support with navigating the college process.
What services are available through the program?
- Assistance with choosing a major
- Support throughout the financial aid process
- Financial Assistance to reduce barriers to academic success
- Referrals to college and community resources
- Monitoring of academic progress and assistance with accessing college support services
- Access to professional one-on-one tutoring in most subjects
- An assigned mentor who will provide one-on-one academic- and career-focused support
- A Great Expectations Coach to help guide students through their academic journey
- Opportunities for group activities, celebrations, workshops and college/business tours
Who is eligible for the program?
- Individuals between the ages of 17 and 24 who are or were affiliated with the Virginia Foster Care System and who are interested in attending Brightpoint
- Youth adopted from the Virginia Foster Care System after the age of 13 or a special needs adoption
Students must be enrolled in a minimum of six credits per semester in an eligible major to participate in the program.
“Knowing that the Great Expectations program was by my side and they were in full support of what I wanted to do, I felt like I had more motivation and determination, in terms of yes, I can get through.”
nursing student and Great Expectations program participant