The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect of their educational records. They are:

Social Security Number

To protect the integrity of our students’ social security numbers, students are assigned a student EMPID number when they submit a Brightpoint Application for Admission. You should use your EMPID number to access your education records, as needed.

45-Day Turnaround

Students should submit to the Admissions & Records Office, written requests that identify the record(s) he/she wishes to inspect. The Registrar/Asst. Registrar will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected.

Amendment Requests

A student may ask Brightpoint to amend the record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write the Brightpoint official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. Should the college refuse to amend the information, the student will receive a letter via the US Postal Service and has the right to appeal via college policies.

Right to Consent to Disclosure

One exception, which permits disclosure without consent, is a disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is an individual employed by Brightpoint or the Virginia Community College System in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position. Other typical exceptions include:

  • Other educational institutions (transcripts)
  • High school dual enrolled or concurrent enrolled students
  • Specific official review for audits or evaluation
  • Financial Aid staff
  • Campus Security personnel
  • Accrediting bodies
  • Appropriate officials in cases of health or safety emergencies
  • State and local authorities and officials within the juvenile justice system
  • Brightpoint or Virginia Community College System contracted individuals or companies
  • A student serving on an official committee at Brightpoint
  • A school official or faculty member who has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility
  • Federal Law, such as the Solomon Amendment

Parent Review of Records

If a student is dependent upon the parent(s), the parent(s) can request a review of the student’s record. The parent(s) must provide supporting documentation that list the student on their taxes (state and federal) and show proof they provide over 50% of support for the student. The student will be notified by his/her VCCS e-mail account if an appointment is granted to the parent(s) to review the student’s documentation. A parent(s) must be specific in the request and provide the request in writing to the Registrar or Assistant Registrar at Brightpoint. The parent will be contacted by phone or mail of an appointment date and time. The student will be allowed to be present during the parent’s review of the student’s documentation. Students may grant access in writing to a parent or other third party designee by completing and submitting the FERPA eForm in myBrightpoint>Self Service>Student Records eForms>Add a FERPA eForm.

Directory Information

Certain information can be released upon request without the student’s written consent. The Virginia Community College System defines directory information as: name, major field of study, dates of attendance, degrees and honors and awards received; participation in officially recognized activities and sports; weight and height of members of athletic teams, grade (class) level, the most recent educational agency or institution attended and course credit load.

FERPA (Privacy) Block

A student can place a FERPA block on his/her account in the Student Information System in myBrightpoint. The navigation is Self Service > Campus Personal Information > Privacy Settings. A FERPA block prevents any information from being given to a third party. If a student is unable to access his/her myBrightpoint account the student can submit a request for a FERPA block in writing to the Admissions and Records Office at either the Chester or Midlothian Campus. The written request must include the student’s name, EMPID#, phone number where he/she can be reached, a signature and date. A FERPA block will be placed on his/her account in the Peoplesoft SIS system by A&R staff. Students can request blocks be removed at time of graduation (or other times at the student’s discretion) by submitting a written request to the Admissions & Records Office or by removing the block in the Student Information System in his/her myBrightpoint account.

Other Information

If you chose to block your directory information, it can’t be released to friends, family, prospective employers, the news media, advisors, student activities and honor societies. If you’d like to keep your public data private, but release information so that it can be published in commencement programs and honor lists, contact the Admissions and Records Office

Online Students

Students enrolled in online classes who reside more than 100 miles from the college’s campuses may request copies of information in their academic files by submitting a request to the Admissions and Records Office either via the U.S. Postal Service or via email from their student email account.  The information will be forwarded to students via certified mail.